Monday, December 8, 2008

Marathon Proposal: A Success

Well, it all started with a dream.

I dreamt of a marriage proposal using balloons. My fiancee loves surprises.

My next step was to figure when and how to propose and I decided to do it on the 7th Dec 2008 - The Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon. The first few days consisted of picking the proposal ring. Next I sent out sms to our best friends "I am planning to propose to Angie at the Singapore Marathon and would like as many of you to be present to make it memorable". I placed orders for the heliums balloons - 21 hearted shaped and an enoumous 36" round ballon and several confetti guns. For the words to be printed on the balloons, I headed to Popular Bookstore and grapped coloured papers and double sided tapes.

Angie has a knack for figuring out surprises, so we can't let anything slip. Just a few days before the big day, we had a site survey. We drove around the padang, defined the rendezvous point where I pick up the balloons from my brother, marked out the sectors that were out of bounded to Angie - to avoid seeing the balloons' arrival, antipated my arrival time etc. I setup a mission plan on a blog and made sure everyone who was involved was very well informed on what was going to happen.

Everyone will hide from Angie's sight and will only appear at the very last moments. The most important of all, I had to convince Angie to be there at the finishing line. The big day came. At the third-forth hour of my run, the first sms came from my friends that everything went as planned they are standing by near the end point and that they had spotted Angie. She was standing on a chair?

Zoe had hijacked a chair for her - to emerged out of the standing crowd. The clueless Angie was engrossed on photography with her D80 and not knew what was happening.

200 metres before the finish line, I grapped the handful of hearted shapped ballons with the largest one saying "Will you marry me?" from my brother and sprint towards the finishing line.



Angie was intrigued on what was going on when she saw the balloons coming, but the surprise was blown when Bangki shouted repeatly "marry him marry him bury him bury him??".


Then the even more shock was brought to her when our friends appeared out of nowhere and surrounded her, shooting the confetti guns into the air.

I smiled and got down on one knee saying: Will you marry me?



With her hand over her heart she said yes.

This was definely not planned. hehe.. Thank you for all your support :)




No comments: